What is UroLift®?
UroLift®, also known as prostatic urethral lift, is a minimally invasive medical procedure used to treat symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). BPH is characterised by an enlarged prostate gland, which affects the ageing male population and causes disruption in sexual and urinary function.
UroLift® addresses the issues caused by BPH by lifting hyperplastic tissues away from the urethra with implants. One of the key advantages of UroLift® is its preservation and potentially even improvement of sexual function. It is important to note that UroLift® does not remove the hyperplastic tissue in the prostate gland; nevertheless, it is just as efficient in addressing issues caused by BPH.
How does UroLift® work?
During the procedure, a urologist inserts a cystoscope through the urethra to access the enlarged prostate. Using the cystoscope, small implants or “UroLift® devices” are precisely placed into the prostate tissue. These devices lift and hold the obstructing prostate tissue away from the urethra, effectively opening the urinary passage. This relieves the pressure and blockage that causes the urinary symptoms.
Unlike traditional surgical methods that involve removing or destroying prostate tissue, UroLift® retains the natural prostate anatomy. This means that prostate tissue is not removed or heated, reducing the risk of sexual side effects. By repositioning the prostate tissue, UroLift® rapidly improves urinary symptoms. Patients often experience increased urine flow, reduced urgency, and enhanced urinary function.
Generally, UroLift® is performed as an outpatient procedure, allowing you to return home the same day with minimal downtime. You will be placed under local anaesthesia, allowing for a comfortable and virtually painless procedure.
Benefits of UroLift®
- Minimally invasive
- Rapid symptom relief
- Preservation of sexual function
- Outpatient procedure
- Minimal downtime
- No need for ongoing medications
- Preservation of prostate tissue
- Effective and long-lasting
What conditions can UroLift® treat?
What results can I expect from UroLift®?
UroLift® aims to significantly enhance your quality of life by addressing bothersome urinary symptoms related to BPH. It provides a balanced approach to treatment, offering effective relief while preserving sexual function and minimising downtime.
When undergoing UroLift® treatment for BPH, there are several positive outcomes you can expect, such as:
- Rapid symptom improvement: provides quick relief from urinary symptoms associated with BPH. You may notice an immediate improvement in your ability to urinate more comfortably.
- Enhanced urinary flow: many patients experience an increase in urine flow, reducing the sensation of incomplete emptying and the need for frequent trips to the restroom.
- Preservation of sexual function: low risk of impacting sexual function compared to other BPH treatments. You will be able to maintain and potentially improve your sexual health.
- Outpatient procedure: this procedure is performed on an outpatient basis, allowing you to return home the same day with minimal downtime.
- Reduced medication dependency: may reduce or eliminate the need for BPH medications, providing a more natural approach to symptom management.
- Long-lasting relief: the effects of UroLift® are typically long-lasting, and many men experience sustained improvement in urinary function.
- Minimal discomfort: you can expect minimal discomfort during and after the procedure, with a relatively quick recovery.
It is important to consult your urologist as they can provide you with personalised information and expectations based on your specific condition.
How many treatment sessions of UroLift® are needed?
For most individuals, UroLift® is a one-time procedure. A single treatment session is often sufficient to provide patients with significant and long-lasting relief from urinary symptoms associated with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).
Despite offering advantages without the need for multiple sessions, it is important to note that the specific UroLift® approach may vary depending on individual factors such as the size of the prostate and the severity of your symptoms. Your urologist will evaluate your condition and determine the most appropriate treatment plan for you.
Frequently asked questions
UroLift® is generally well-tolerated; most individuals report minimal discomfort during the procedure. Any discomfort experienced is typically mild and temporary, and your urologist will take measures to ensure your comfort throughout the treatment.
While UroLift® is suitable for many cases of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH), its effectiveness can depend on individual factors, including the size and severity of your condition. Your urologist will evaluate your specific case to determine the most appropriate treatment.
The side effects of UroLift® are generally mild and short-lived. Common side effects may include temporary urinary symptoms such as urgency and discomfort. Serious complications are rare, and your urologist will discuss any potential risks with you before the procedure.